The dental implants used by most dentists are root-form implants; which basically means that they are replacement, or substitute tooth roots, used to replace natural tooth roots in areas of the mouth where teeth are missing.
Since dental implants replace the tooth root, they create the stability needed to maintain your jawbone and have much stronger teeth that stay in place and don’t move around. The major benefits of dental implants are:
1. You Will Look 10 Years Younger - Dental Implants assist you in looking and feeling younger, because they prevent bone loss that would normally occur with the loss of your teeth. By preventing bone loss that would normally occur with the loss of teeth, your facial structures remain normal and intact. The chances of wrinkling and looking older then you are is less likely if your jaw bone stays intact and does not resorb away.
In other words, everyday that you continue to wear dentures, or have missing teeth, you are experiencing bone loss, which makes you look much older than you have to. By using dental implants your facial structures and jaw remains strong, healthy, and intact.
This is especially important when all of the teeth are missing, because the lower one-third of the face often collapses if implants are not placed to preserve the bone levels.
2. Overall quality of life is enhanced with replacement teeth that look, feel and function more like natural teeth. You will look younger and more attractive which allows you to be even more confident and enjoy smiling, laughing, and talking with others.
3. You can live longer, because you’ll get to eat better and prevent malnutrition or stomach problems! Fresh Vegetables, corn, fruits, and steaks are back on the menu! You can now eat the foods you like. Also, since your chewing is improved, your digestion will be even better as well!
4. More Confidence in social situations. Most of our patients love their new implants, because of their improved appearance, function, comfort and health. When you go out in public, you will never have to cover your mouth with your hand, or put off eating out of fear of a denture popping out or making you gag. Also, the improved appearance of your new smile will have people giving you compliments galore.
5. The new dental implants will allow you to relax and not have to worry about your dentures moving around, popping out, or making you gag. You’ll never worry about your dentures flying out when you laugh, sneeze, cough, or when you eat. Implants are so securely attached that the fear of them falling out will be eliminated! Like I said before, these will feel like they are your natural teeth.
6. Your mouth will be restored as closely as possible to its natural state. By replacing the entire tooth, as well as the tooth root, it is possible to more closely replicate the function of natural teeth then with dentures, with a strong, stable foundation that allows comfortable biting and chewing. Also, nothing in the in the mouth looks or feels false or artificial like complete dentures!
7. Increases the amount of enjoyment you get out of eating. You will be able to taste foods more fully. Wearing an upper denture can prevent someone from really tasting food, as the roof of the mouth is covered. With implant supported replacement teeth, it is not necessary to cover the roof of the mouth, so you can truly enjoy the taste of foods.
8. Eliminate Denture Adhesives FOREVER! Since implant supported teeth are securely attached to the implants, there is no need for messy implants dentures adhesives.
9. Your other teeth will not be affected because of missing teeth and need bridges. Since replacing missing teeth with implant supported crowns and bridges do not involve the adjacent natural teeth, they are not compromised or damaged. Traditional bridges require some grinding down of the adjacent teeth so that the bridge can be cemented on them. This is not a bad option if the adjacent teeth have been restored with large fillings or crowns but if they are not restored it would be best to leave them that way. This prepared tooth structure can never be replaced and the long-term health of these teeth can be compromised compared to leaving them unprepared.
10. Your adjacent teeth will not be affected because of partial denture clasps and attachments. When you wear a partial denture, you have clamps that hook onto adjacent teeth and put pressure on them that causes them to loosen. With dental implants you can eliminate the partial denture or support them with dental implants instead of your teeth.
The benefits of dental implants far out weigh the benefits of wearing dentures, traditional bridges or living with missing teeth.